I created a website this past spring for my final project in Chinese Literature 130: Screening Modern China. It was an interesting class that surveyed a great deal of Chinese cinematography, ranging from the first silent films up to modern day talkies. The site was created from the perspective of Ruan Lingyu, a Chinese silent film star of the 1920s and early ’30s. Check out my personal statement for a detailed description of the project.
I recently had to code a little web application that would interface with a MySQL database and display data on a webpage via PHP MySQL queries. The application had to support many international languages – the most difficult of which to deal with was Russian. Many forums suggested changing my character encoding to CP-1251, which is a standard Russian encoding in Windows. I needed support for all international languages, though, and using multiple character encodings wasn’t a headache I wanted to get myself into. It turns out that you can display all these characters using a UTF-8 encoding, provided you get the PHP and MySQL right. Read on to find out how to display Russian and other languages with PHP and MySQL.
Here are the before and after screenshots of a website I did for the Harvard College Consulting Group. I also built in a members only area of the website with access to a wiki to store all of the documents essential to maintaining our institutional memory. The live site can be found at HarvardCollegeConsulting.com.